While breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, it is often the hardest to implement. Morning-times tend to be rushed; you overslept, you have to get the kids ready for school and make it to work on time, you can’t find your keys. It’s no wonder why so many people skip it.
However, adding breakfast into your daily routine may be worth it. A nutritious breakfast has been shown to:
- Aid in a more nutritionally complete diet
- Give a mental edge
- Help with energy and alertness throughout the day
- Provide more strength and endurance during physical activity
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Aid in weight control and appetite control
WHAT SHOULD BREAKFAST CONSIST OF?
Adding a lean protein to your breakfast, such as eggs, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese, will keep you feeling fuller longer. It may even hold you over until your lunchbreak at work!
Complex carbohydrates, like oatmeal or fruit, provide a slower-releasing energy which will last throughout the day.
Healthy fats, such as nuts, nut butters or avocado will not only provide you with extra energy during workout time, but will also promote the fat-burning process.
A little caffeine can give you that quick mental alertness that you so desperately need in the mornings!
HOW CAN I EAT BREAKFAST EVERYDAY?
- Wake up early enough to give yourself time to prepare and eat breakfast
- Prepare breakfast ahead of time: overnight oats are a great option
- Have a ‘no-cook’ breakfast like Greek yogurt with granola or cottage cheese and fruit
- Take breakfast on-the-go: Quest bar or a piece of fruit with nuts are good choices
- If you are able you might even take some breakfast with you and eat it while you are at work
I hope these tips were beneficial and can help you to add breakfast into your daily routine, inshallah.