On 23rd April 2016, I was thrilled to be invited to attend the launch of Lucozade Sport’s™ ‘Fuel Your Performance’ Campaign Launch and Running Clinic.
- What is the campaign about?
As adapted from the official news release, this event is a kickstart to a series of campaign activities designed to engage with Malaysian runners and an on-going effort to bring it’s scientifically-proven formula to Malaysians.
They also introduced their ‘Fuel Your Performance’ Advocates – exceptional individuals who have accomplished many goals in addition to the demands of work and family. These Advocates serve as inspirational role models for aspiring runners to kick-start their own dream, because they are living proof that dreams can indeed become a reality.
Rodney Tan, Head of Marketing, Suntory Beverage & Food Malaysia shares during the Q&A session while (from far left) Dr Mahenderan Appukutty, Edan Syah, Lee Hon Tong and Alex Au-Yong look on.
*Not in the picture is the 4thAdvocate, Mohd Amran bin Abdul Ghani, as he was attending a race
- Why do I like this product?
In my personal opinion, it tastes great when its cold. The orange flavour is refreshing, almost like an orange juice. I felt recharged after a long run because of the electrolytes and carbohydrates were replenished. And the best part is that it’s not carbonated, so you don’t feel bloated or abdominal discomfort after drinking.
According to Mr Lee Hon Tong, Regional General Manager, Suntory Beverage & Food Malaysia, Singapore & Hong Kong, they have plans in the future to bring more flavours and products in the future. I’m excited to see to what they have in the pipeline!
- What did I learn during the running clinic?
It was more of a Q&A session with the panels, so we had a chance to learn a lot.
Some key points from Dr Mahendran Appukutty, exercise and sports nutrionist:
– Read the label and do your research on sports drink. Not all sports drink or supplements are created the same. Thankfully, I can be assured that Lucozade Sport™ formulated based on scientific evidence.
– For serious athletes, BMI are not applicable to them because their muscle mass is heavy. They should measure fat percentage instead.
– To lose weight, the right amount of carbohydrate should not exceed the size of your palm. Stay away from fried foods
– Runners should lift weights and cross-train to tone their body and build strength.
Some key points from Edan Syah, fastest marathon runner in Malaysia for 2016:
– Serious athlete should participate in only 2 marathons per year to allow time for recovery and ensure their optimum performance
– Take your time to train, and take care of your body for the long term. Edan Syah took 4 years of training before he qualified for Boston Marathon.
– Not training means you are not respecting the distance
– If you find it hard to stick to a training plan, build a running routine first until running becomes a habit. Then the training programme will follow through.
– Malaysia should focus on training to qualify for the Olympics, as there are a lot of potential among the younger generation.
Edan sharing some tips
Until next week,
The Weekend Runner