Spending four hours at the historical and majestic Gua Tempurung in Gopeng gives you a fresh perspective of adventure. You get to climb, crawl, wade in a river and admire captivating artistic formations on the walls.
How much time do you need to explore Gua Tempurung? It ranges from 40 mins to 4 hours depending on the tour you choose. There are 4 types of tour; Golden Flowstone (to the Platform #3), Top of the World (until Platform #5), Top of the World & Short River Adventure, and the Grad Tour. The price for an adult ranges from RM6 – RM22. Malaysians get to enjoy discounted prices with myKad. No advanced booking is required. The tours start at 9am till 4pm, but if you are planning for Tour 3 or Tour 4, be there before 11am. Details about the tours can be found here and Gua Tempurung Outdoor Camp. Last year, they were closed for a few months for renovation so do call their office or check their info/social sites to get updates of their operating hours.
My sharing is based on my experiences at Tour 3.
Essentials to bring
- Headlamps (must bring as it is pitch dark in the cave)
- Gloves with grip for Tour 3 & 4 (useful when you crawl in the river)
- Knee pads (you need to crawl in a river with gravels underneath)
- Waterproof bag
- Waterproof camera
- Extra clothes and slippers/shoes to change to after the Tour
You do not need to bring helmets as they are provided.
[huge_it_slider id=”14 “]
What to wear
- Water-friendly clothing for Tour 3 & 4 cause you will get wet. Long sleeves are good to avoid being grazed by sharp edges.
- Sports shoes for Tour 1 and 2, but if you are planning for Tour 3 &4, wear rubber shoes or aqua shoes with good grip.
- Long pants are better for Tour 3 and 4 if you want to avoid grazed by the sharp edges and stones. You’d be sliding down a 9 meter cliff.
- Use lockers to keep your car keys and important belongings. You cannot rely on waterproof bags. Water can leak into the bag and can damage electronic devices
- There is a toilet and shower area at the entrance. You need to pay 50 sen and RM1 respectively.
- Tours are managed in groups and you will be assigned to a guide
- You don’t need to bring too many things with you.
- Bring water or snacks if you need
- If you are bringing young children, they will enjoy the adventure in the dark.
What to expect
A canopy of beautiful arts
[huge_it_slider id=”15 “]
Crawling in a river of cool water.
[huge_it_slider id=”16 “]
My family and I enjoyed the adventure and would definitely go again. Afterall, it is only a half day affordable yet captivating adventure. I loved the fact that I could bask on the rocks, with water flowing on my back, and I didn’t have to put on the sunblock. The water was super clean and the rocks were non-slippery. Cave tourism must expand further!