Tired of feeling weak and helpless? Scared of walking home alone? Is there someone you want to tell off but don’t know how?
No need to fear, martial arts is here!
There’s karate, judo, aikido, taekwondo, boxing, wushu, and a whole lot more you can learn about just by a click of your mouse. But simply learning from a book or a website and playing it out a couple times won’t cut it. You have to get up and train for at least half an hour per week. After all, self-defense is a skill. And skills are not perfected in a blink of an eye, but by sheer sweat and determined practice.
Self-defense does not just ward off unwanted creepers, but could also potentially save your life. Places like Texas, where women are being targeted and attacked, strongly encourage Muslims to take up self-defense and learn how to protect themselves. With the current Islamophobia and hate against Muslims, it is essential that you, as a Muslim woman (especially if you wear hijab), know how to fend for yourself when encountered by any sort of threat – big or small.
In some middle eastern countries like Jordan, harassment is not uncommon. Despite women covering themselves modestly and wearing hijabs and headscarves, they are still targeted and attacked without hesitation. According to islam.ru, an islamic information portal based in Russia, some women in England are even attacked by muggers taking the pins off their hijab and stabbing their heads with it. So as we can see from here, how we dress is not the issue. It’s how we protect ourselves and how we deal with the ambiguous jaws of the world.
Among all self-defense techniques and martial arts, let’s zoom into one particular art: Taekwondo.Taekwondo, as the name distinctly provides, is a Korean martial art. The word can be broken down into three: “tae”, “kwon”, and “do”. The definition of “tae” is foot, “kwon” is hand, and “do” is art. It generally can be broken down into two categories: poomsae, and sparring. Poomsae is a series of moves – both defense and attack – put together in one. On the other hand, sparring is your typical two-minute fight on the training mat.
This martial art consists of many moves and techniques. The few basic ones are kicks, blocks, and strikes.
Here are a few examples:
The basic kick in Taekwondo: front kick.
Basic blocks and strikes: punch, higher-section block, lower-section block, inner block, outer block, ridge hand strike, and knife hand strike.
Sparring technique: Chopping kick.
There are some centres available in Malaysia:
- Perwira Taekwondo Academy [Bandar Sri Permaisuri, Cheras]
- Pro Sport Taekwondo [Cempaka, Nilai; Bukit Rahman Putra, Sungai Buloh]
- Persatuan Taekwondo Malaysia [Setia Alam, Shah Alam]
- Dynamic Taekwondo Club [Puchong]
- Elite Martial Arts Academy (EMAA) [Subang Jaya]
- Petaling Jaya Taekwondo Club [Petaling Jaya]
- Nexus Taekwondo Malaysia [Kota Damansara]
Other places to learn self-defense around the world:
- CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) Iowa [Iowa, Unites States]
- Andover Estate [Holloway, North London, England]
- Elthorne Estate [North Islington, London Borough of Islington, England]
- Cornwallis Estate [England]
- Sydney Self Defence Centre [Sydenham, New South Wales, Australia]
- Family Self Defence [Five Dock, Parramatta and Castle Hill, New South Wales, Australia]
- Australian Self Defence [Mitchell, Australia]
- SheFighter [Amman, Jordan]
- Women’s Self Defense Center [Mumbai, Maharastra, India]
Don’t be afraid because you are small and frail or physically unfit. With determination, comes great results. Remember: we are not inferior to men, but a sole equal. And sometimes, we may be even better.