Even though modest clothing is not new, many do not understand what it is. Based on a recent article on freemalaysiatoday – “A cynical suggestions for SEA GAMES 2017 sports attire for Malaysian contingent”, perhaps there is lack of understanding, creativity or design knowledge that result to such unappealing designs.
So here’s a list about modest wear.
- It is not related to any religion or believe.
- It signifies moderation and humility
- It is not equals to hijab or robe/jubah
- It is for all types of body shape
- It is a choice of comfort or identity
- It does not necessary affect performance
It Started Modestly
Modest wear for sports is not new. In fact, performance sports started modestly, and went less and less in fabric, but improved quality.
- Olympians, be it male or female had loose outfits and more fabric on their skin back then. Over time, the fabric gets lesser and designs tighter, not due to cost constraints, but performance and practical reasons. Some changes in dress code raised eyebrows and community uproared every time they were introduced. You can read more about the evolution of sportswear at the Olympics here.
- Swimming suits for example was introduced less than 100 years ago in modest designs. You can read more here.
It has evolved into many designs and choices, both for performance and leisure.
Then Tight & Shrink
Today, majority sportswear designs are tight and use less fabric. There is not much of a design choice offered for performance sports.
However, with the advancement of technology in textile industry, sports fabrics are getting more and more lightweight with improvements in moisture management. With this, there are opportunities to design modest sportswear even for performance.
At Nashata, we use different types of fabric for performance and leisure. For example, our performance range uses highly breathable fabric on modest designs. Our Zip Up jacket for example is only 220 grams, despite having to use a lot of fabric.
Offer | Accept | Respect Choices
Our customers who run full marathons and ultra runs have nothing but compliments and all smiles for being able to run for performance comfortably and modestly. We even have marathon runners who choose to wear our leisure range for performance so that they can perform prayers during runs.
We have been making women across the globe who choose to dress modestly happy to perform all sorts of sports; horse-riding, golfing, yoga, zumba, badminton and many more.
They feel good, they look good !
There are always room for improvements for modest performance activewear at international level, SEA Games 2017 or not. Nothing is impossible, especially with the advancement of technology, innovation and creativity. We are humbled to take up the challenge and make it possible tastefully, given the opportunity.